One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A newspaper or magazine column containing advertisements from readers looking for a partner or lover.‘she tries her luck in the lonely hearts columns’
- ‘I joined an internet dating agency, but had no luck, then moved on to answering ads in a local newspaper lonely hearts column.’
- ‘Maybe I should place an ad in a lonely hearts column.’
- ‘After the numbness of widowhood wore off, she found love again through the lonely hearts column of her local newspaper.’
- ‘I think a lot of people read lonely hearts columns with a great deal of interest.’
- ‘A bachelor meets a woman through a lonely hearts column with dramatic results.’
- ‘She answered an advertisement that he had placed in a newspaper lonely hearts column.’
- ‘He resorts to finding a wife by whatever means necessary: writing to lonely hearts columns and employing the services of a matchmaker.’
- ‘He has tried lonely hearts columns in local newspapers a few times.’
- ‘Many men were adamant they have never used dating agencies or lonely hearts columns.’
- ‘Intrigued by an advertisement he has placed in a lonely hearts column, she and Rebecca contact him simply to see what sort of person would place such an ad.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.