Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fun, laughter, or amusement:‘‘OMG,’ she scolded, ‘this is no time for lolz’’‘the image was immediately posted on Facebook, just for lols’‘Tell him to call his wife if you see him! Lolz’
- ‘But people always say I look like a 13 year old lolz.’
- ‘I want to be able to talk to him and act like I normally do around my friends ... lolz ... like not being all jumpy or shifty.’
- ‘Don't blame me, blame Twitter, lolz.’
- ‘My nephew is only 2 and he acts like the man of the house, lols.’
- ‘Keep up the good work lolz.’
- ‘Comments like this are why I cannot join in the "lolz at public schoolboys trying to understand hip-hop" mindset.’
- ‘I'm much, much more impressed with fan films like Hunt for Gollum, which at least put some effort into their craft, while still operating for the love and (grits teeth) lols.’
- ‘Did he get the message? Lolz!’
- ‘I shaved half my hair off yesterday lols.’
- ‘Since I didn't know how to cook, I took the easiest thing, and just warmed it up and put some salt and pepper and butter in it, lols.’
- ‘Lolz, it was sappy wasn't it?’
- ‘I'm getting 650 euros from them at the end of this month, which is practically going to be my ticket to Japan next year lolz.’
- ‘I'm reading a bad romance novel for the lols.’
- ‘I come here for the lolz - it's funny to read how mad people are.’
- ‘Basically nothing's happened yet, lolz.’
- ‘Nothing is more obnoxious to a business guy than asking a question about OSS Project X version 2.2 and being told "Why are you still using 2.2, lolz?"’
- ‘And don't forget to submit your own work lols right here.’
- ‘The bike she wanted to show me wasn't there ... lolz ... so we checked out the toys instead.’
- ‘If trolls who are in it for the lolz see that they can stir up a lot of trouble in your comments they will make an account.’
- ‘Goodness it has been one insane week so far, lolz!’
1990s: alteration of LOL.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.