One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large, flat, rounded boiled sweet on the end of a stick.
- ‘It's also about childhood and the hedonistic pleasures of lollipops and bubblegum pop.’
- ‘Ask your parents if teachers handed out candy or if bus drivers offered lollipops.’
- ‘The reference to an ice-cream shop excursion has been edited out, and math word problems have been revised so that items like lollipops and candy bars are not included to teach kids arithmetic.’
- ‘The country's candy market stands at $319 million in 2000 with a wide range of products including chewy candy, jelly, hard candy and lollipops.’
- ‘Just as in the eye pin, the circle needs to be sitting on top of the wire like a lollipop on a stick.’
- ‘If the ritual centers around the oral fixation, and not the tobacco or the smoke itself, you could substitute a lollipop, licorice or hard sour candy for the cigarette.’
- ‘I'm looking at Blake the way a little starry-eyed kid looks at a giant lollipop in a candy store.’
- ‘The plump girl had finished her lollipop and threw the stick over her shoulder.’
- ‘Handing out chocolate and lollipops to pub revellers in a good mood at the end of the night is one of the schemes already operating in East Lancashire.’
- ‘I sat back down and resumed my editing, sticking the grape lollipop back in my mouth.’
- ‘She ordered a few cookies, a coffee with cream and three packets of sugar, an iced mocha, some chocolate lollipops, and after-coffee mints to finish the meal off.’
- ‘Life is not all candy canes and lollipops but it doesn't mean we should forget what the results of our actions are.’
- ‘On my side were little sugar rivers and lollipops sticking out of the ground.’
- ‘Top off each goodie bag with a lollipop accented with additional jelly beans.’
- ‘I fail to see how giving drunken yobs lollipops and chocolate will help alleviate the problem of drunken behaviour in town and city centres at weekend.’
- ‘At issue is candy that contains significant amounts of chili powder, including lollipops coated with chili, and powdery mixtures of salt, lemon flavoring and chili seasoning.’
- ‘She brought along a clown baggy full of candied goodies, such as lollipops, gumdrops, and jelly beans.’
- ‘So, lollipops and sucking sweeties were banned, but soft sweets and chocolate were deemed OK in moderation.’
- ‘The big candy bars cost $1 each and the lollipops 50 cents.’
- ‘Its laboratories have already copied some examples for use in children's lollipops.’
- 1.1British another term for ice lolly
- 1.2informal A short, entertaining, but undemanding piece of classical music.‘a disc of lollipops with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’
- ‘Verdi operatic lollipops is my current favourite.’
Late 18th century: perhaps from dialect lolly ‘tongue’ + pop.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.