Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who draws up full-size outlines from the drawing or plans for parts of a ship or aircraft.
- ‘Draftsmen produced full-scale drawings for the loftsmen and pattern-makers.’
- ‘The fairness of each line is ‘in the eye of the beholder’ and ultimately is in direct proportion to the skill of the loftsman and designer.’
- ‘This is an irrational fear, probably born from the mystique which the professional loftsman has been known to wrap around his craft to protect his position.’
- ‘This led to the practice where the loftsman would create a new table of offsets based on their full-size templates.’
- ‘On a huge floor at the top of a shipyard building, the lines of a ship were drawn out actual size by the loftsmen.’
- ‘He was employed at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard as a ship fitter and loftsman, retiring after 29 years of service.’
- ‘The loftsman is provided with a table of offsets shown on the lines drawing.’
- ‘Under Pinnacle's guidance and with their help, I recruited and developed my own team of loftsmen (who were also trained by Pinnacle on the job) and started to approach sales in my market.’
- ‘Although he relies on his skills as a logger, sawyer, loftsman, shipwright, mechanic, plumber, electrician, spar maker, sail maker, and rigger, it is without question his skill as a mariner that makes his boats uniquely effective at what they do.’
- ‘Learn the lost art of the mold loftsman.’
- ‘To aid in the task, the loftsman would employ long, thin, flexible strips of wood, plastic, or metal, called splines.’
- ‘I have been a boatbuilder, loftsman, ship builder, ship designer and Cad Engineering manager for 34 years.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.