One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A piece of magnetite or other naturally magnetized mineral, able to be used as a magnet.
- ‘Gilbert carried out many other experiments, including the study of spherical lodestones that were floated on water in small wooden boats.’
- ‘Electromagnetic fields and radiation have, perhaps through their historical associations with magnetic lodestones and electrical storms, been linked to forces of nature that are not readily understood.’
- 1.1mass noun A naturally magnetized mineral; magnetite.
- ‘They floated a piece of lodestone, a naturally-occurring magnetic mineral, on a piece of wood in a bowl of water with its ‘poles’ horizontally opposite to one another so that it could rotate and line up with the Earth's poles.’
- ‘Why did lodestone have the power to attract certain metals?’
- ‘It holds a very sharp edge, and lodestone does not attract it.’
- ‘Geomagnetic measurements owe their beginning to an uncommon rock: lodestone.’
- ‘Then there were real sparks as someone hit a lodestone, and a candle ignited in front of my face.’
- ‘For example, there is an interesting rock called lodestone.’
- 1.2 A person or thing that is the focus of attention or attraction.‘the revolution in eastern Europe has robbed the state of its ideological lodestone’
- ‘Santa Fe has been a lodestone for the study, idealization, and romanticization of the American Indian since the completion of the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway.’
- ‘It is the ideological lodestone of a political movement that has shoved the entire American political center to the right.’
- ‘Attendance at the Army War College (as well as the other senior service colleges) should remain the lodestone of the profession of arms.’
- ‘Little recognized in this country is that the scope and pervasiveness of American power is now the lodestone for every other country in the pursuit of its own interests.’
- ‘West also believes the musical genre of the blues is a philosophical lodestone for successful democracy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.