Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to locomotion.‘locomotor organs’
- ‘In contrast to fish myomeres, the axial locomotor muscles of dolphins are organized into longitudinal tracts as is typical of mammals.’
- ‘The labroid fishes are pectoral fin locomotor specialists and a model for examining fin-based swimming.’
- ‘Activation of the dentate gyrus may merely reflect the intensity of the locomotor activity after the animals have already decided how intensely they want to run.’
- ‘We would be remiss not to reiterate that plants and animals differ, of course, in many ways other than in behavioral and locomotor capacities.’
- ‘Movement in a rectilinear manner decreases the resistive forces associated with the locomotor activity and minimizes the distance traveled.’
Early 19th century: from locomotion + motor.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.