One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is employed to attend and maintain a lock on a river or canal.
- ‘As a waterman, and later as a lock-keeper, he has alternative, and distinctly illegitimate, sources of income which are clearly not related to honest sweat.’
- ‘And when extending a Victorian lock-keeper's cottage into a graduate humanities centre for the college, they went a bit mad and produced an asymmetrical crystalline structure that somehow works just fine in the context.’
- ‘To navigate from Killaloe to Limerick advance notice needs to be given to the lock-keeper at Ardnacrusha, who controls Parteen Lifting Bridge and Ardnacrusha lock.’
- ‘Was it that the telemetry was failing again, and all the phone lines were down, or perhaps the lock-keeper's car was in for a service?’
- ‘In the last of our series of Tales From The Riverside Stephen Lewis spends a morning with Selby lock-keeper Fred Firth’
- ‘When the ship sought to leave the port of Liverpool, tugmen and lock-keepers refused to assist its free passage.’
- ‘But Davey's quiet life changes when he falls in love with the tactless but vulnerable Sarah, a Scottish bargee who stays with him in his lock-keeper's cottage while her narrow-boat's broken propeller-shaft is repaired.’
- ‘There are lock-keepers, vets and people we meet in bars - I am an old tart, I'll chat to anyone.’
- ‘For inexperienced boaties like us, lock-keepers are potentially scary people, but we were reassured by our first encounter.’
- ‘He got away with this for years, mainly because his dad - the lock-keeper at Sonning-on-Thames - was far too busy with sluice gates and idiot boaters to notice his son was a slob.’
- ‘Generally, however, on this canal, there's a lock-keeper on hand to oversee what you're doing and give you a hand.’
- ‘All down the river we had the expertise and river lore of a remarkable lock-keeper, John O'Neill.’
- ‘The lock-keeper opens the gates to let the boats through.’
- ‘The men will travel home in a bus overnight while the scooters, which can travel at a maximum speed of 8mph, are left with lock-keepers.’
- ‘But while the waterways themselves have been revitalised and lock-keepers are in demand once more, the lot of many keepers' cottages has not improved.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.