One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Methodist layperson authorized to conduct services in a particular circuit.
- ‘More than that, he was a committed Christian, a local preacher and well known for his counselling abilities.’
- ‘The local preacher, Avery (who is also Berniece's boyfriend), tried to get her to part with it to help fund the church and she flatly refused.’
- ‘She then trained to be a local preacher, candidated for the ministry and spent three years training to be a minister.’
- ‘He was thrilled when I told him I was planning to become a Methodist minister and that our daughter, Sarah, was training to become a local preacher.’
- ‘Gareth and myself were at one time local preachers in the same circuit.’
- ‘I have been a Methodist local preacher for 45 years and an Anglican reader for six.’
- ‘He and Carolyn are also local preachers at Kingston Methodist Church and have close ties with many voluntary organisations.’
- ‘Grant does so reluctantly, at the urgent behest of his aunt, Jefferson's godmother, and a local preacher.’
- ‘He and his wife are also local preachers at Kingston Methodist Church and have close ties with many voluntary organisations.’
- ‘Mr Jacob Fletcher, a local preacher for 44 years, has been engaged in many branches of religious work in the course of his 73 years.’
- ‘Rex Brindle, 88, of Falcon Gardens, is a genuine lover of people and has been an active local preacher since he was in his late teens.’
- ‘Trajkovski is a lawyer and a licensed local preacher of the Methodist Church.’
- ‘As well as being a prominent sheep farmer, Mr Dunn was also an auctioneer, and for more than 70 years as Methodist local preacher, visiting chapels throughout the county.’
- ‘In addition to the regular clergy, these were served by 43 local preachers.’
- ‘It also contained two preaching plans - rotas for local preachers - a booklet on Primitive Methodism, and an advert for the church's stone-laying ceremony.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.