One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A telephone call made to a nearby place, typically to a number having the same area code, and charged at a relatively low rate.‘they can ring any time for the price of a local call’
- ‘For other local calls, you can find the phone number in your local telephone directory.’
- ‘To improve access and communications for customers, the agency introduced a local call rate General Enquiries line.’
- ‘The telephone call is charged at local call rate, which means it is much cheaper to connect after 6.00 pm and at weekends.’
- ‘The mobile phone retailer is expected to offer free local calls to its fixed-line customers.’
- ‘You cannot even make a local call in New Orleans to find out what's going on.’
- ‘Even though we also have to pay the phone company an extra $89 per month to have a broadband-capable line, that should be offset by the fact that all local calls will now be free.’
- ‘They also have a National Helpline which is available from 9am to 9pm every day, for the price of a local call.’
- ‘The company has added a "call" button to its instant messenger service that lets users make free long distance or local calls via their computer to any phone in the US.’
- ‘Entrants should be aware that they may be subject to local call charges depending on their own individual arrangements for internet access.’
- ‘This gives you local call access in all major towns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.