One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A computer network that links devices within a building or group of adjacent buildings, especially one with a radius of less than 1 km.
- ‘DVRs translate analog video signals into digital and compress them so they can flow efficiently on a local area network or wide area network.’
- ‘When the church installed new computers connected to a local area network and to an Internet service provider, the staff was astonished at how much its internal communications improved.’
- ‘Wireless local area networks will connect the handphones to the IP phone network.’
- ‘A SAN eases the load on a company's local area networks (LANs).’
- ‘A computer program product for use with a computer system having a host and a plurality of clients coupled to one another via a local area network, to provide a multicasting of messages using a special command set.’
- ‘The results of the test are saved by a local computer, from which the data is transmitted via a wireless modem or a local area network to a central server, where the data is then compared with existing parameters.’
- ‘I have a local area network in the house, spanning several computers hubbed together in the basement and up two levels to an upstairs office with another hub of three computers.’
- ‘We want to enable the caching DNS server on our router but make it available only to computers on our local area network.’
- ‘For instance, the proxy may be combined with a firewall to provide added security to a local area network.’
- ‘From local area networks to distributed computing platforms, and now the Internet and intranets, the level of exposure has increased while disaster preparation has decreased.’
- ‘As far as computer networking goes, public wireless local area networks (public WLANs or Wi-Fi) are a simple idea, but the user authentication and billing is neither simple nor consistent.’
- ‘If you own more than one computer and have a local area network, you can can restrict who has access to what by setting the ‘share’ privileges on Folders.’
- ‘The clients access the file or application servers over the local area network, typically in a homogeneous operating system environment.’
- ‘The simplest of these backs up data over the local area network from the filer to a backup server.’
- ‘File sharing over local area networks has become an integral part of enterprise computing.’
- ‘Connect computers in an office, and you've got a local area network.’
- ‘VPNs commonly are used to connect local area networks into wide area networks using the Internet.’
- ‘And everything in the house, from the refrigerator to the microwave, is linked through a local area network, or LAN.’
- ‘On a local area network or other network, the MAC (Media Access Control) address is a computer's unique hardware number.’
- ‘Using the same protocol with similar functionality as in a local area network translates into simplicity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.