One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A computer network that links devices within a building or group of adjacent buildings, especially one with a radius of less than 1 km.
- ‘For instance, the proxy may be combined with a firewall to provide added security to a local area network.’
- ‘DVRs translate analog video signals into digital and compress them so they can flow efficiently on a local area network or wide area network.’
- ‘The results of the test are saved by a local computer, from which the data is transmitted via a wireless modem or a local area network to a central server, where the data is then compared with existing parameters.’
- ‘Wireless local area networks will connect the handphones to the IP phone network.’
- ‘When the church installed new computers connected to a local area network and to an Internet service provider, the staff was astonished at how much its internal communications improved.’
- ‘File sharing over local area networks has become an integral part of enterprise computing.’
- ‘We want to enable the caching DNS server on our router but make it available only to computers on our local area network.’
- ‘On a local area network or other network, the MAC (Media Access Control) address is a computer's unique hardware number.’
- ‘The simplest of these backs up data over the local area network from the filer to a backup server.’
- ‘And everything in the house, from the refrigerator to the microwave, is linked through a local area network, or LAN.’
- ‘The clients access the file or application servers over the local area network, typically in a homogeneous operating system environment.’
- ‘VPNs commonly are used to connect local area networks into wide area networks using the Internet.’
- ‘From local area networks to distributed computing platforms, and now the Internet and intranets, the level of exposure has increased while disaster preparation has decreased.’
- ‘A computer program product for use with a computer system having a host and a plurality of clients coupled to one another via a local area network, to provide a multicasting of messages using a special command set.’
- ‘I have a local area network in the house, spanning several computers hubbed together in the basement and up two levels to an upstairs office with another hub of three computers.’
- ‘Using the same protocol with similar functionality as in a local area network translates into simplicity.’
- ‘Connect computers in an office, and you've got a local area network.’
- ‘As far as computer networking goes, public wireless local area networks (public WLANs or Wi-Fi) are a simple idea, but the user authentication and billing is neither simple nor consistent.’
- ‘A SAN eases the load on a company's local area networks (LANs).’
- ‘If you own more than one computer and have a local area network, you can can restrict who has access to what by setting the ‘share’ privileges on Folders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.