Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A computer network that links devices within a building or group of adjacent buildings, especially one with a radius of less than 1 km.
- ‘Connect computers in an office, and you've got a local area network.’
- ‘If you own more than one computer and have a local area network, you can can restrict who has access to what by setting the ‘share’ privileges on Folders.’
- ‘From local area networks to distributed computing platforms, and now the Internet and intranets, the level of exposure has increased while disaster preparation has decreased.’
- ‘Wireless local area networks will connect the handphones to the IP phone network.’
- ‘And everything in the house, from the refrigerator to the microwave, is linked through a local area network, or LAN.’
- ‘Using the same protocol with similar functionality as in a local area network translates into simplicity.’
- ‘We want to enable the caching DNS server on our router but make it available only to computers on our local area network.’
- ‘The clients access the file or application servers over the local area network, typically in a homogeneous operating system environment.’
- ‘As far as computer networking goes, public wireless local area networks (public WLANs or Wi-Fi) are a simple idea, but the user authentication and billing is neither simple nor consistent.’
- ‘I have a local area network in the house, spanning several computers hubbed together in the basement and up two levels to an upstairs office with another hub of three computers.’
- ‘File sharing over local area networks has become an integral part of enterprise computing.’
- ‘The results of the test are saved by a local computer, from which the data is transmitted via a wireless modem or a local area network to a central server, where the data is then compared with existing parameters.’
- ‘When the church installed new computers connected to a local area network and to an Internet service provider, the staff was astonished at how much its internal communications improved.’
- ‘DVRs translate analog video signals into digital and compress them so they can flow efficiently on a local area network or wide area network.’
- ‘VPNs commonly are used to connect local area networks into wide area networks using the Internet.’
- ‘The simplest of these backs up data over the local area network from the filer to a backup server.’
- ‘A computer program product for use with a computer system having a host and a plurality of clients coupled to one another via a local area network, to provide a multicasting of messages using a special command set.’
- ‘For instance, the proxy may be combined with a firewall to provide added security to a local area network.’
- ‘On a local area network or other network, the MAC (Media Access Control) address is a computer's unique hardware number.’
- ‘A SAN eases the load on a company's local area networks (LANs).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.