One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Perform a lobotomy on.‘her brother had developed a schizophrenic illness and had been lobotomized’
- ‘He is taken away, and when he returns, he has been lobotomized.’
- ‘After eight years she was scheduled to be lobotomised and her mother was persuaded to sign the relevant documents.’
- ‘The character has been lobotomised and spends almost the entire play standing against the wall with arms raised as though nailed to a crucifix.’
- ‘There is no known documentation that Farmer was ever lobotomized; and indeed, this gruesome tale may distract attention from the legitimate horrors she and other patients were subjected to, including the denial of civil rights.’
- ‘But Rosemary, when she was younger, was lobotomized.’
- 1.1informal Make (someone) less able to function mentally or emotionally.‘couples we knew who had been lobotomized by the birth of their children’
- ‘And then the writers seemed to want to lobotomize Justin into a kid who sank to his knees every time Brian got within 50 feet of him.’
- ‘If teachers didn't resist each new fad, they'd be lobotomized.’
- ‘Ask any Australian who hasn't had their conscience lobotomized by the Right Wing Death Beasts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.