Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Perform a lobotomy on.‘her brother had developed a schizophrenic illness and had been lobotomized’
- ‘He is taken away, and when he returns, he has been lobotomized.’
- ‘But Rosemary, when she was younger, was lobotomized.’
- ‘The character has been lobotomised and spends almost the entire play standing against the wall with arms raised as though nailed to a crucifix.’
- ‘After eight years she was scheduled to be lobotomised and her mother was persuaded to sign the relevant documents.’
- ‘There is no known documentation that Farmer was ever lobotomized; and indeed, this gruesome tale may distract attention from the legitimate horrors she and other patients were subjected to, including the denial of civil rights.’
- 1.1informal Make (someone) less able to function mentally or emotionally.‘couples we knew who had been lobotomized by the birth of their children’
- ‘And then the writers seemed to want to lobotomize Justin into a kid who sank to his knees every time Brian got within 50 feet of him.’
- ‘If teachers didn't resist each new fad, they'd be lobotomized.’
- ‘Ask any Australian who hasn't had their conscience lobotomized by the Right Wing Death Beasts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.