Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Surgical removal of a lobe of an organ such as the thyroid gland, lung, liver, or brain.
- ‘The subjects were consecutive patients who required pneumonectomy or lobectomy for small peripheral lung nodules; they were not selected to represent an obstructed and nonobstructed group.’
- ‘The patient underwent right hepatic lobectomy with total resection of the lesions based on surgical exploration and intraoperative ultrasound examination.’
- ‘Patients with peripheral tumors with or without metastases to hilar nodes are usually treated with surgical lobectomy or pneumonectomy.’
- ‘Human bronchi were obtained from lung resections or lobectomies and cultured as previously described.’
- ‘The right middle lobe was emphysematous and a right middle lobectomy was performed.’
- ‘Seven days after the bronchoscopy the patient went to the operating room for a right lower lobe lobectomy and wedge biopsy of the right middle lung.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.