One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is an inescapable irony that what began for him - and indeed the donors or loaners - as an aspirational dream of ermine has ended in the social indignity that only the threat of the policeman's knock can bring.’
- ‘No worries, they'll gladly provide you with a loaner for the day.’
- ‘I'm genuinely touched by this, and as a fellow scooter rider, might try to make the ride - but I'll need a 150 cc loaner.’
- ‘In the 1980s, the Conservative Party also received loans that magically resulted in the loaner getting a peerage, and it still does the same thing today.’
- ‘To their credit, they made no fuss, and arranged to repair the old thing and give me a loaner while it was being fixed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.