One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of convicts assigned to a settler as workers.‘continued good service entitled the prisoner to a transfer to a loan gang’
- ‘The loan gang consisted of the best workmen in the Colony, lent on loan to the settlers generally.’
- ‘The first wave of convict labour would be released from the roads to the loan gangs, to be hired out at cheap rates.’
- ‘Persons who obtain men from the loan gang are much more apt to abuse the trust confided in them.’
- ‘Repeated misconduct invariably withdraws the mechanic from the loan gang.’
- ‘In Van Diemen's Land all mechanics are placed either in the engineer department or in the loan-gang.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.