One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of convicts assigned to a settler as workers.‘continued good service entitled the prisoner to a transfer to a loan gang’
- ‘Repeated misconduct invariably withdraws the mechanic from the loan gang.’
- ‘The loan gang consisted of the best workmen in the Colony, lent on loan to the settlers generally.’
- ‘The first wave of convict labour would be released from the roads to the loan gangs, to be hired out at cheap rates.’
- ‘In Van Diemen's Land all mechanics are placed either in the engineer department or in the loan-gang.’
- ‘Persons who obtain men from the loan gang are much more apt to abuse the trust confided in them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.