One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The maximum permitted height and width for rolling stock on a railway.
- ‘It could easily be a tourist railway in the Dandenongs, just with greater speed and a bigger loading gauge.’
- ‘At an early stage Teito decided to build its tunnels to a standard (for Japan) track gauge and loading gauge (that's the size of the car) and a standard power supply.’
- ‘It was always recognised that the loading gauge in Britain was different from Europe where bridges were higher and wagons wider.’
- 1.1 A frame suspended above a railway track to indicate these limits.
- ‘With chimney, etc., to the limits of the 17 ft. high Russian loading gauge, it doesn't look anything much, and sadly the owners did not seem to get on with it; there were, of course, special arrangements to avoid freezing up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.