One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement detailing a person's desires regarding future medical treatment in circumstances in which they are no longer able to express informed consent, especially an advance directive.
- ‘You have to write a living will while you are healthy and able to make your own decisions.’
- ‘Documents relating to a living will and advanced directives should be reviewed.’
- ‘After this event the patient had written a living will to ensure that no such confusion would occur in her case.’
- ‘Assuming responsibility for care coordination is especially important at the end of life with the increased emphasis on advance directives and living wills.’
- ‘Your loved one may have left a clear guide to end-of-life choices, such as a living will or an advance directive.’
- ‘It is imperative to discuss a living will and advance directives with patients who have terminal cirrhosis.’
- ‘This has led critics to regard advance directives as living wills.’
- ‘The moral of the story is that living wills and powers of attorney for healthcare are important to have even if you're young.’
- ‘The case highlights the agonizing medical decisions that living wills were meant to avoid.’
- ‘Opponents of such living wills could condemn these documents as suicidally motivated refusals of medical treatment.’
- ‘Do you have a living will or a durable power of attorney for health care, sometimes called an advanced directive?’
- ‘It turns out that the crash team, on arrival at the ward, had been told that I had written a living will and apparently did not want to be resuscitated.’
- ‘Generally, absent a living will or other advance directive, a spouse assumes decision making power if someone becomes incapacitated.’
- ‘They extended this concern to issues of malpractice in regards to living wills and organ donations.’
- ‘The audit focuses on preventive services, including cancer screening, immunizations, and living wills.’
- ‘As nurses, we need to be knowledgeable about the legal implications of advance directives, living wills, health care agent, and conservator of person.’
- ‘Although written living wills were helpful, they were insufficient.’
- ‘This study aimed to determine the knowledge of elderly inpatients in the United Kingdom on living wills and their healthcare choices should they write such a will.’
- ‘Medical experts say a living will is important because it erases guesswork for families if a loved one becomes seriously ill.’
- ‘Other issues that need to be addressed with patients and caregivers include advance directives, the living will and the durable power of attorney.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.