One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A birth at which a child is born alive.
- ‘Conjoined twins are extremely rare, with the incidence possibly as low as one in every 200,000 live births.’
- ‘Today, the infant death rate is less than 6 per 1000 live births.’
- ‘Given that there are 680,000 live births to women in Britain per year, this would mean that 68,000 women experience PND annually.’
- ‘There are approximately 680,000 live births per year in the UK.’
- ‘The infant variables were sex, singleton or multiple birth, birth order, live birth, stillbirth, and early neonatal death.’
- ‘Fewer than one-third of conceptions culminate in live births.’
- ‘The condition is thought to occur in one in every 150 live births and has a maternal mortality rate of 3.5 per cent.’
- ‘The absolute difference is thus 1 per thousand live births.’
- ‘In February the government pledged to lower the infant mortality rate from 68 to 45 per 1,000 live births in the next five years.’
- ‘Amongst these there were a total of 14 procedures that resulted in a live birth of which 6 were multiple births.’
- ‘In total, there were 273,680 live births and 1,667 still births within 7.5 km of all sites combined.’
- ‘This is our longest duration of storage that has led to a live birth.’
- ‘For every thousand of the city's residents, there are 14.8 live births.’
- ‘All analyses of the outcome of the second birth were confined to the subgroup of women whose first birth was a term live birth.’
- ‘But in 2002, it got worse: 7 babies died for each thousand live births, while that rate was 6.8 deaths the year before.’
- ‘This will presumably bring the standard of national registration of live births and stillbirths to that of local registries where these exist.’
- ‘Here's a breakdown from 1996 live births of the infant mortality rate by birth weight.’
- ‘Until 1991, two in every 1,000 live births ended in SIDS.’
- ‘With the exception of 2001, this annual total remains the lowest since 1977 when there were 569, 259 live births.’
- ‘Pregnancies that would end in miscarriages elsewhere, end in live births here, but live births with sicker babies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.