One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
noun & adjective
- former term for Ukrainian
- ‘‘Ukrainian’ was considered a fake nationality under the Czars, when they were referred to as ‘Little Russians’ (as opposed to the ‘Great Russians’ of Muscovy).’
- ‘Not everybody is put off by their outrageous prices, but when the puppies grow up they turn out to be not of pedigree blood, but ordinary Little-Russian mongrels.’
- ‘Similarly, Russian and Ukrainian novosely distinguished themselves vis-a-vis one another as ‘Great Russians’ versus ‘Little Russians’ or as ‘Muscovites’ versus ‘Khokhly.’’
- ‘Neither can be regarded as ‘‘Little Russian’ thinkers’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.