One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who carelessly drops litter in a public place.
- ‘She had bought up her son to put litter in a bin and he was not a litter lout.’
- ‘Their failure to do so only encourages the litterbugs.’
- ‘The installation of closed circuit TVs to identify litterbugs at hygiene blackspots was one of the more controversial initiatives of Team Clean.’
- ‘On past occasions complaining to the litterbugs has evoked abuse, threats, or silence and it normally makes little sense then to phone any enforcement officer.’
- ‘Police have defended a decision to launch a crackdown on litterbugs in Bradford after it was revealed they handed out just six on-the-spot fines in a fortnight.’
- ‘Of course, we can't just dump the blame for the fact we live in filth on tightwad councillors; some responsibility has to be shouldered by the litterbugs who think nothing of dropping their junk where they stand.’
- ‘While we hope that police will act if they can against litterbugs, it is the job of every parent and indeed every adult in responsibility to enforce the message in the young and the thoughtless.’
- ‘Pictures of litterbugs could also be published in the council's newspaper, which is distributed free every quarter to more than 200,000 homes.’
- ‘New £50 on-the-spot fines are to be issued to litterbugs and fly-tippers.’
- ‘Street wardens in Manchester have begun slapping £50 fines on litterbugs.’
- ‘More than 30 officers are hitting the streets of Bradford for two weeks armed with £50 fixed penalty notices to hand out to litterbugs as part of Operation Grimebusters.’
- ‘This much can be said in favor of the cameras: In some cases, they have been used to convict speeders, other traffic law offenders, and litterbugs.’
- ‘Therefore, litterbugs and those accustomed to spitting on the pavement no longer dare to give free rein to their impulses or else they'd better take along with them a waste-paper basket or a cuspidor whenever they opt for a stroll.’
- ‘The six officers can already dish out fixed penalty notices to litterbugs but that could be extended to cycling on the pavement, dog fouling and drinking alcohol in the street.’
- ‘It claimed that litterbugs faced with a £50 on the spot fine were avoiding paying because wardens did not have the same powers as police officers.’
- ‘Apart from the obvious pollution to rivers with solid litter discarded by unconscious litterbugs, urban rivers are also affected by the way home owners regulate drainage on their properties.’
- ‘The scrutiny committee produced a report in February which condemned litterbugs and said that cleaning could be improved in residential areas outside the city centre.’
- ‘How about establishing a special night court/tribunal to deal with litterbugs?’
- ‘Policing of the surroundings of lakes and tanks may become necessary to stop vandals and litterbugs spoiling our water bodies.’
- ‘‘If there was proper investment in litter wardens to catch and punish the significant minority of litterbugs who throw their gum on the ground, perhaps there would be a saving in the long run,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.