One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supine position of the body with the legs separated, flexed, and supported in raised stirrups, originally used for lithotomy and later also for childbirth.
- ‘The capillary-support pressures for calf and heel support in the standard lithotomy position are presented as a function of body weight.’
- ‘The circulating nurse then helps the anesthesia care provider with induction of anesthesia and intubation, after which the patient is placed in a low lithotomy position.’
- ‘She was placed under general anesthesia and positioned in a low lithotomy position.’
- ‘The circulating nurse configures the OR bed to accommodate either candy-cane shaped or boot-type stirrups for the lithotomy position.’
- ‘The patient was supine for the first 90 minutes and in the lithotomy position thereafter.’
- ‘The circulating nurse and surgeon place the patient in the lithotomy position, which allows access to both the abdomen and perineum.’
- ‘Pubertal girls can be examined in the lithotomy position.’
- ‘The potential for deep vein thrombosis can be minimized with the proper use of stirrups for placing the patient in the lithotomy position.’
- ‘The patient was supine for 90 minutes and in the lithotomy position for 90 minutes.’
- ‘Once they are comfortable with these positions, they can be examined in the dorsalis lithotomy position.’
- ‘The legs were flexed at the knees and tied up with a rope, so the victim assumed a position which was as inelegant then as it is today when used for some gynaecological procedures, the so-called lithotomy position.’
- ‘After the patient has emptied her bladder, she is placed in the dorsal lithotomy position without strapping or taping of her legs.’
- ‘He or she reviews the patient's history and physical examination during the initial assessment, which helps the perioperative nurse assess the patient's mobility and ability to tolerate a low lithotomy position.’
- ‘When the perineal prep and catheter insertion have been completed, the stirrups should be adjusted to place the patient in a modified lithotomy position with the patient's legs at a 45-degree angle to the OR bed.’
- ‘All of the deliveries were carried out in the lithotomy position following the same protocol.’
- ‘After induction of anesthesia, the surgeon, anesthesia care provider, and circulating nurse place the patient in the lithotomy position and pad the patient's extremities and all bony prominences.’
- ‘The circulating nurse and surgeon place the child in the lithotomy position (infants are placed supine) for the cystoscopy.’
- ‘The longest docking times correspond to patients who were placed in the lithotomy position.’
- ‘The procedures performed in the lithotomy position have been the most difficult to dock.’
- ‘The patient is placed in the lithotomy position after administration of spinal or general anesthesia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.