The rigid outer part of the earth, consisting of the crust and upper mantle.‘the lithosphere comprises a number of plates’mass noun ‘continental lithosphere has a lower mean density than oceanic lithosphere’
- ‘An alternative to an active mantle thermal anomaly is greater stretching of the mantle lithosphere than the crust.’
- ‘At the same time, material that was eroded must be deposited offshore, amplifying the downward load where Mesozoic extension had already thinned the crust and weakened the lithosphere.’
- ‘We attribute base level changes to the influence of the proto-Iceland mantle plume beneath the lithosphere, providing support until continental break-up west of the Faroe Islands.’
- ‘After new oceanic crust forms, the lithosphere cools and thickens as it moves away from the ocean ridge.’
- ‘This allows us to place much tighter constraints on the tectonic and thermal evolution of the lithosphere during late orogenic extension than has previously been possible.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.