One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Transform (a sediment or other material) into stone.‘these sediments are lithified to form shales, limestones, and sandstones’
- ‘Low-strain deformation of many natural rocks, both unlithified sediments and lithified sedimentary rocks, occurs by strain localization in dilatant joints or in shear bands that can dilate or compact.’
- ‘Stratification may be deformed penecontemporaneously by various agencies, before the rock is lithified.’
- ‘Another strong argument against the mammoth death-in-the-Flood hypothesis is that the Beringian animals are buried in unconsolidated surficial sediments overlying lithified sedimentary rocks.’
- ‘This sediment was locally lithified to form thin hard grounds, presumably at times of non-sedimentation or significantly reduced sedimentation.’
- ‘The three-dimensional preservation of pellets and fossil remains in the limestones suggests that the carbonate muds were rapidly lithified, and that the limestones record minimal time averaging.’
Late 19th century: from Greek lithos ‘stone’ + -fy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.