One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The art or practice of judging and commenting on the qualities and character of literary works.
- ‘Both his poetry from 1926 on and his essays in literary criticism attest to his spiritual independence.’
- ‘In literary criticism there is a tendency to look for geographic or temporal groups of influence.’
- ‘This is, after all, a period when New Historicism has dominated literary criticism, and the masque was the most overtly political of all Stuart cultural forms.’
- ‘He revived the art of the essay, and brought new psychological and political insight into literary criticism.’
- ‘Many of today's fantasies are connected to the role of computers in our lives, in literature and literary criticism.’
- ‘Anthologies are themselves a kind of literary criticism, a selection of work that shows the editor's taste and thought process.’
- ‘My exegetical method combines elements of postmodernist literary criticism and canonical criticism.’
- ‘Paradoxically, contemporary literary criticism's emphasis on the marginal has made the marginal central.’
- ‘It thus comments on both antebellum literature and twentieth-century literary criticism.’
- ‘He was a pioneer in various genres including satire, literary criticism, and drama.’
- ‘We hope this essay proves a useful tool for scholars beginning research in Asian American literature and literary criticism.’
- ‘Sometimes they are a substitute for poets writing literary criticism.’
- ‘Many of these essays are playful and creative in ways that ethnic literary criticism has not been in the past.’
- ‘How does its emergence affect the overarching patterns of American letters and the enterprise of modern literary criticism?’
- ‘If all that literary criticism set out to do was to say that the writer was merely a product of his time, then I, for one, suspect my job would be much easier.’
- ‘To understand the Bible, we have to work through volumes of literary criticism and hermeneutical theory.’
- ‘Judging by the amount of literary criticism published, it seems clear that this is an effective, or at least very productive, technique of reading.’
- ‘Bringing literary criticism into the creative writing workshop is problematic.’
- ‘Apologies to anyone omitted in film and literary criticism.’
- ‘Instead, the poem sounds like an essay written in the professional mode of literary criticism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.