One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘These wordsmiths include poets, novelists, literary critics, newspaper and magazine journalists, and many professors.’
- ‘That the premise is flawed is emphasised by a handful of citations that are not so egregious, and which come from poets and novelists rather than academics or literary critics.’
- ‘William Hazlitt, literary critic, friend to Lamb and Keats, was born this day in 1778.’
- ‘I cannot understand how certain novelists are at the same time literary critics and write criticism of other writers.’
- ‘He was one of those, but, perhaps uniquely, he was neither a poet nor a writer of short fictions, but a literary critic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.