One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Lithuania, equal to 100 centas (replaced by the euro in 2015).
- ‘He estimates that the tab for restitution of privately owned property could come to 5 billion litas, or $1.4 billion - about half of the country's annual budget.’
- ‘The opening night at the casino on March 1 proved popular although nobody bagged the maximum potential payout of 1.2 million litas.’
- ‘Doctors' pretax starting salary of 800 litas a month is less than double the 450 litas minimum wage.’
- ‘From 1994 the Lithuanians pegged the litas to the US dollar.’
- ‘As we motor through the European Union in future, we will be able to change our euros into Latvian lats and Lithuanian litas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.