Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of writing or other content presented wholly or partly in the form of a list.‘a recent BuzzFeed listicle called ‘21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity’ has attracted more than 13 million views’
catalogue, inventory, record, register, roll, file, index, directory, listing, checklist, tally, docket, ticket, enumeration, table, tabulationView synonyms
- ‘The website made up of "listicles" about everything from cats to politics is now a primary source for our news consumption, says its creator.’
- ‘Grapefruit enjoys an exalted reputation, thanks in part to countless magazine stories and nutrition listicles singing its praises.’
- ‘She navigated them to become, as a Forbes listicle once anointed her, the fifth most powerful woman in the world.’
- ‘Vox has a helpful listicle up on what insurance can and cannot do.’
- ‘Here's a gif-illustrated listicle of situations that make women want to use the baby voice.’
- ‘This time around with our recap, we've gone in a different direction, and opted for a listicle!’
- ‘There are some bonafide reporters on this listicle below.’
- ‘This alleged listicle is such an abomination that we feel to compelled to offer a reasoned critique.’
- ‘The site breaks down everything you need to know into an easy-to-digest 10-thing listicle.’
- ‘She is apparently now doing a daily listicle over at Gawker and feeling dirty about it.’
Early 21st century: blend of list and article.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.