One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Disease caused by infection with listeria, which can resemble influenza or meningitis and may cause miscarriage.
- ‘Other causes of encephalitis include influenza, listeriosis, brucellosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, whooping cough, rabies and lead poisoning.’
- ‘Symptoms of listeriosis can include a flu-like illness with fever, muscle aches and chills and sometimes nausea and diarrhea.’
- ‘Being careful with food and water is particularly important during pregnancy because infections such as listeriosis can cause miscarriage, and hepatitis E can result in maternal mortality.’
- ‘The actual mechanism of infection and disease presentation in late-onset listeriosis is not yet fully understood.’
- ‘When a pregnant woman is infected with listeriosis, she may have a miscarriage, premature delivery or stillbirth, or her newborn baby may become seriously ill and may die.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.