One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The price of an article as shown in a list issued by the manufacturer.
- ‘Negotiating a large discount off the list price is great but can be negated if the dealer is able to get away with offering a below-market rate for a car being traded in.’
- ‘With a list price of $500, it is one of the most expensive models on the market today.’
- ‘This is 30 per cent of the list price of the car when new but may be reduced by the following percentages where the employee pays for running costs.’
- ‘It's not hard to save, say, 15% off the list price, which means saving £2,400 on a £16,000 car.’
- ‘Analysts estimate the planes were bought for less than $30 million - $14 million under the list price.’
- ‘Villas that achieved $190,000 last year now have a list price of $260,000.’
- ‘It carries a list price of $105 but should be discounted to $90 or less.’
- ‘Remember: the list price is purely the ‘top’ price, not the ‘right’ price!’
- ‘The list price is the highest price that you can pay.’
- ‘This percentage shows the anticipated resale value of the van as a proportion of its list price based on age and mileage.’
- ‘At a list price of $26.98, this is the DVD bargain of the year so far.’
- ‘From January 1 a diesel car that was taxed at 17% of its list price will instead be charged at 20%.’
- ‘Next, when looking at the list price, remember that it might not be your net price.’
- ‘After all, why pay the list price when you can pay the lowest price?’
- ‘They signed a contract for the list price in September 2003.’
- ‘Since April 2002, company car taxation has been calculated on the basis of the car's CO2 emissions and its list price when new.’
- ‘Most books are sold through a distributor, who takes 55% of the list price.’
- ‘Smith argues that one indicator of the health of the UK housing market is to compare the average house price with the list price of a typical new family car.’
- ‘At a list price of around $60, this set is not worth the purchase even for those wanting to simply dip their toes into the '60s music culture.’
- ‘The list price of the car when new is insignificant in today's terms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.