Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pending legal action, or a formal notice of one.→ lis
- ‘He too was dealing with a motion to discharge a certificate of lis pendens after a transaction of purchase and sale was aborted for failure of the vendor to produce a certificate relating to soil quality.’
- ‘Such an interest is not sufficient to support a certificate of lis pendens.’
- ‘There must be a clear and effective mechanism for resolving cases of lis pendens and related actions and for obviating problems flowing from national differences as to the determination of the time when a case is regarded as pending.’
- ‘It follows from the comparison of the legislation mentioned above that a common concept of lis pendens cannot be arrived at by a rapprochement of the various relevant national provisions.’
- ‘But before a sale could be closed, the vendor received a letter from Treasury threatening to register a lis pendens on the land.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.