One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless, odourless oily liquid consisting of a mixture of hydrocarbons obtained from petroleum, used as a laxative.
- ‘The distal portion of the cut nerve was placed over bipolar platinum electrodes and immersed in liquid paraffin warmed to 37 [degrees] C and contained in a bath that was formed by raising the skin flaps of the wound.’
- ‘The burn should be covered with a bland ointment such as liquid paraffin.’
- ‘Many of these cases are successfully treated with liquid paraffin by stomach tube, to break up the impaction and lubricate the intestine, together with painkillers.’
- ‘So, late last night, I dosed him with medicinal liquid paraffin, delivered through one of those plastic syringes they use for small children these days.’
- ‘Among the dodgy remedies are cowpats to draw boils, liquid paraffin to ease constipation and vinegar for almost everything.’
- ‘The treatments for this are nursery-esque: liquid paraffin with dinner, for example.’
- ‘I have also used emollients like liquid paraffin and dermadew two to three times daily.’
- ‘The first one involved usage of liquid paraffin for immersing nerves while dissecting and recording from them.’
- ‘After being soaked in strong soap-suds, brushed and sprayed with liquid paraffin, a less than fresh orange suddenly becomes an attractive fruit.’
- ‘In children we used olive oil instead, to avoid any laxative effect of liquid paraffin.’
- ‘Also, whereas the first study used liquid paraffin as a placebo, the second study used sunflower oil, which is better tolerated and less likely to affect the placebo response adversely.’
- ‘The maintenance phase consisted of ‘Agarol’ (active ingredients: liquid paraffin, phenolphthalein, benzoic acid, and sorbic acid) 5-30 ml once or twice daily, senna granules, or bisacodyl tablets.’
- ‘But after vets gave him liquid paraffin he was able to pass the fragments from his body and was re-homed with a family from Berkshire this week.’
- ‘The government response came after health authorities in India expressed concerns over the US company's baby oil products which use liquid paraffin as the base.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.