One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of visual display used in electronic devices, in which a layer of a liquid crystal is sandwiched between two transparent electrodes.
- ‘If you can, use a laptop computer; these have a liquid crystal display screen, which operates on weaker and safer voltage than desktop monitors.’
- ‘Until now, the best resolution available commercially in electronic displays has been about 150 dpi in high-end liquid crystal display computer monitors.’
- ‘The company aims to raise annual production of thin film transistor liquid crystal displays to 1.5 million this year from 500,000 last year.’
- ‘Strong growth is also expected in the liquid crystal display driver market and in application-specific devices for consumer electronics.’
- ‘The thin film transistors are useful in active matrix liquid crystal displays where the plastic substrates are transparent in the visible spectrum.’
- ‘The Internet, handheld computers, liquid crystal displays and enhanced font rendering are the technological basis for the development of e-books.’
- ‘One possible application: backlighting liquid crystal displays, such as computer screens.’
- ‘The controller also includes a user interface having an operator keypad and a liquid crystal display.’
- ‘The liquid crystal display displays a symbol that represents the determined notification level.’
- ‘Sales of liquid crystal displays used in handsets jumped 180 per cent compared with a year ago.’
- ‘These compact wall-mounted appliances utilize a microcomputer, a liquid crystal display, and a small keypad for programming.’
- ‘But many laptop computers have liquid crystal displays (LCDs).’
- ‘Those marketing plasma television claim that their state-of-the-art products have better ‘colour purity’ and higher contrast ratio when compared to liquid crystal displays.’
- ‘The cockpit is equipped with multifunction liquid crystal displays and electronic flight instruments.’
- ‘Therefore, the size of a liquid crystal display device in a widthwise direction thereof can be reduced.’
- ‘Part of the reason for this surge: a 50% slide in the price of high-end liquid crystal displays over the past year.’
- ‘The gadget then selects the corresponding expression from some 200 stored words and either displays them on a liquid crystal display or ‘speaks’ them to the pet's owner.’
- ‘But flat-panel LCD, or liquid crystal displays, win the aesthetics battle by a long shot.’
- ‘The result is an artificial world, including mountains and obstacles, on active-matrix liquid crystal displays.’
- ‘Notebook computers, liquid crystal displays, mother boards, monitors and recordable compact disks all take over 50 percent of the global market share.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.