One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mixture of light gaseous hydrocarbons (ethane, propane, butane, etc.) made liquid by pressure and used as fuel.
- ‘Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas that results from incomplete combustion of fuels such as natural or liquefied petroleum gas, oil, wood, and coal.’
- ‘Instead, the ground is being laid for the three-wheelers to be fuelled on the eco-friendly liquefied petroleum gas.’
- ‘There are nearly 2 million around the world - a figure far greater than for vehicles powered by any other alternative fuel except liquefied petroleum gas.’
- ‘The Union government has raised the administered prices of kerosene, liquefied petroleum gas, and aviation turbine fuel while leaving diesel and petrol untouched.’
- ‘The guidelines cover not only pollution and property damage, but also death and injury through incidents involving chemicals, liquefied natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas.’
- ‘The government resorts to ‘off-budget’ subsidies for specific products like diesel, kerosene and liquefied petroleum gas.’
- ‘The Energy Minister last week urged Londoners to use cheaper and cleaner liquefied petroleum gas, instead of petrol.’
- ‘Thirty percent of users have shifted to alternative modes of transportation: carpools, bicycles, and cars that run on liquefied petroleum gas, a low-polluting alternative to conventional gasoline and diesel.’
- ‘Anyone who drives a car for a living will probably tell you LPG, or liquefied petroleum gas, is the most cost effective alternative.’
- ‘Even as the judges tasted the food, a demonstration on how to handle liquefied petroleum gas cylinders safely, and tips on conserving fuel, kept the participants busy.’
- ‘Today, almost all aerosol cans contain alternative propellants, such as liquefied petroleum gas, which do not pose as serious a threat to the environment.’
- ‘The project follows other environmentally friendly moves such as the conversion of the royal cars to liquefied petroleum gas and energy-saving light bulbs for Buckingham Palace.’
- ‘Main fuel tax duties were frozen until September, when they will increase in line with inflation, although the tax break for liquefied petroleum gas - once promoted as a clean fuel - will be cut by 1p per litre over the next three years.’
- ‘But the group's energy business, which includes selling home heating oil, petrol and liquefied petroleum gas in Britain and Ireland, failed to match the success of the other divisions.’
- ‘It says that we cannot burn New Zealand gas, but we can import it from Indonesia, and there are people who have said: ‘Let us bring in liquid gas and have a gas-fired station from liquefied petroleum gas.’’
- ‘The towers and tanks belonged to a plant for converting liquefied petroleum gas into propane and other products.’
- ‘We have been hearing lame excuses from the government as to why the prices of petroleum products, especially diesel, kerosene and liquefied petroleum gas, cannot be kept stable and have been increased.’
- ‘Electricity, kerosene and liquefied petroleum gas are used to power the ovens.’
- ‘Gas (coal gas, liquefied petroleum gas, or natural gas) was the second most commonly used cooking fuel in the three urban districts; therefore, coal use at home was chosen specifically as a surrogate for indoor air pollution.’
- ‘Still some buses are switching to cleaner fuels like liquefied petroleum gas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.