One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The breakdown of fats and other lipids by hydrolysis to release fatty acids.
- ‘When lipolysis outraces lipogenesis and releases fatty acids into the blood, they diffuse into all cells of the body to be used as fuel.’
- ‘Intracellular acidosis, by virtue of anaerobic metabolism of glucose, hydrolysis of high-energy phosphates, and lipolysis, is accompanied by elevations of the partial pressure of venous and tissue carbon dioxide.’
- ‘Taking the extended-release formulation at bedtime may diminish lipolysis and the release of free fatty acids to the liver, limiting the usual diurnal increase in plasma triglycerides.’
- ‘First, in men, testosterone stimulates lipolysis, inducing an increase in free fatty acid release from the visceral fat depots.’
- ‘In addition to its role in regulating glucose metabolism, insulin stimulates lipogenesis, diminishes lipolysis, and increases amino acid transport into cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.