One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The omission of a letter or syllable in writing.
leaving out, exclusion, exception, non-inclusion, deletion, erasure, cut, excision, elimination, absenceView synonyms
- ‘Erroneous omissions are few and short and can generally be ascribed to lipography.’
- ‘Some writers have taken lipography to extremes.’
- ‘In all probability, the expression seems to be a case of lipography.’
- ‘I want to glorify the art of lipography.’
- ‘The second 'sit' having dropped out by lipography, descensurus was altered to descensurum.’
Late 19th century: from Greek lip- (stem of leipein ‘to leave (out)’) + -o- + -graphy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.