Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The omission of a letter or syllable in writing.
leaving out, exclusion, exception, non-inclusion, deletion, erasure, cut, excision, elimination, absenceView synonyms
- ‘Some writers have taken lipography to extremes.’
- ‘Erroneous omissions are few and short and can generally be ascribed to lipography.’
- ‘In all probability, the expression seems to be a case of lipography.’
- ‘I want to glorify the art of lipography.’
- ‘The second 'sit' having dropped out by lipography, descensurus was altered to descensurum.’
Late 19th century: from Greek lip- (stem of leipein to leave (out)) + -o- + -graphy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.