One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pancreatic enzyme that catalyses the breakdown of fats to fatty acids and glycerol or other alcohols.
- ‘A good digestive enzyme should include lipase to digests fats, amylase for carbohydrates, protease for proteins, cellulase for cellulose and fiber, and lactase for dairy.’
- ‘Intriguingly, enzymes such as lipase, lysozyme, and subtilisin retained their activities in organic solvents.’
- ‘Studies on lipase showed that enzyme catalysis, substrate binding, and substrate releasing correspond to different types of motion styles.’
- ‘You need a supplement that provides all of the three main groups of enzymes - amylase, protease and lipase - to break down fats, carbohydrates and proteins.’
- ‘Liver enzymes, amylase, and lipase were normal, as was an upper abdominal ultrasound examination.’
Late 19th century: from Greek lipos ‘fat’ + -ase.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.