One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presence in the blood of an abnormally high concentration of emulsified fat.
- ‘Clinical trials have shown that a dose of 4 g/day is effective at regulating postprandial lipemia.’
- ‘The photo-optical method 42 has the advantage of being automated and is minimally influenced by the presence of fibrin split products or low levels of hemolysis, lipemia, or bilirubin.’
- ‘Additional symptoms of diabetes mellitus include excessive thirst, glucosuria, polyuria, lipemia and hunger.’
- ‘If visible lipemia is noticed, the lipid infusion should be stopped and a serum triglyceride level measured.’
- ‘These serum specimens were anicteric and showed no evidence of lipemia or hemolysis.’
Late 19th century: from Greek lipos ‘fat’ + -aemia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.