Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A cosmetic applied to the outline of the lips, mainly to prevent the unwanted spreading of lipstick or lip gloss.
eyeliner, eye pencil, kohl pencil, kohl, eyeshadow, eyebrow pencil, lip linerView synonyms
- ‘Almost as bad as the time I cornered a possible future Prime Minister for an interview and delved into my bag for a pen and the only thing I could pull out was a lipliner.’
- ‘In a fit of desperate inspiration Angela reached into the small white purse hanging from her shoulder and pulled out her shiny pink lipgloss and plum lipliner.’
- ‘Lipstick is painted thickly and then outlined with a lipliner for polished perfection.’
- ‘I always line my lips with a dark brownish lipliner and fill in the center with a pale pink lipstick.’
- ‘Apply a matching lipliner first to avoid color bleeding.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.