One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cosmetic applied to the outline of the lips, mainly to prevent the unwanted spreading of lipstick or lip gloss.
eyeliner, eye pencil, kohl pencil, kohl, eyeshadow, eyebrow pencilView synonyms
- ‘In a fit of desperate inspiration Angela reached into the small white purse hanging from her shoulder and pulled out her shiny pink lipgloss and plum lipliner.’
- ‘Almost as bad as the time I cornered a possible future Prime Minister for an interview and delved into my bag for a pen and the only thing I could pull out was a lipliner.’
- ‘I always line my lips with a dark brownish lipliner and fill in the center with a pale pink lipstick.’
- ‘Apply a matching lipliner first to avoid color bleeding.’
- ‘Lipstick is painted thickly and then outlined with a lipliner for polished perfection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.