One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional Chinese dance in which the dancers are masked and costumed to resemble lions.
- ‘In absence of traditional lion costumes, they are performing the lion dance by holding their briefcases over their heads.’
- ‘Some people will be familiar with the lion dance, the foot juggling woman on a unicycle and the pole acrobats.’
- ‘The main events are of course the boat races, but there will also be market and food stalls, traditional Chinese dragon and lion dances, martial arts and, for a South African flavour, even gumboot dancing.’
- ‘Besides sampling specialities like beef choi sum and sha cha chicken, guests were also treated to a colourful lion dance.’
- ‘Representing cultures throughout Asia, the museum also offers events from traditional Chinese lion dances to Mongolian butter sculpting.’
- ‘In London, San Francisco, New York - indeed wherever there's a Chinatown - you can be sure of snappy firecrackers and swirling lion dances to chase away the evil spirits.’
- ‘The hall is a venue where Chinese-Indonesians practice barongsai, or the lion dance, their ancestral cultural legacy they cultivate in Indonesia.’
- ‘The events are highlighted with dragon dances or lion dances, which used to be seen here only on television or in the movies.’
- ‘It is believed that the lion dance will bring good luck to households and businesses they visit.’
- ‘Folk dance traditions are strong among Taiwanese, the lion dance and the dragon dance being the most typical.’
- ‘Plans for this year include the magnificent 7-headed dragon dance, lion dances and acrobatics as part of the region's traditional celebrations.’
- ‘The lion dance combines art, history and Kung Fu moves.’
- ‘The lion dance will feature the Central Ontario Chinese Cultural Centre.’
- ‘Over 100 members of the troupe performed in Sriracha with shows including dragon dance, lion dance, a bicycle show, and fire dragon.’
- ‘It started well, with a traditional lion dance, and we're seeing more and more social interaction between the two groups, particularly on the sporting field.’
- ‘In that way, along with the lion dances and festive food that characterize the Spring Festival, people find time on the following Lantern Festival or Yuanxiao Festival not only for a spree but also for a little romance.’
- ‘That's a North American thing, but we're giving away champagne at the party as well as having the lion dance.’
- ‘Pupils who attend the after-school dance club are busy developing their ideas for a Chinese lion dance performance and children in Years 3 and 4 are designing menus for an eastern-style buffet.’
- ‘Special events include fortune telling, martial arts, lion dance, a street market and more.’
- ‘Hu is also expected to attend some of the cultural activities, which include dragon and lion dances, red-fan performances, Peking Opera and martial arts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.