One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional Chinese dance in which the dancers are masked and costumed to resemble lions.
- ‘Plans for this year include the magnificent 7-headed dragon dance, lion dances and acrobatics as part of the region's traditional celebrations.’
- ‘The lion dance combines art, history and Kung Fu moves.’
- ‘Besides sampling specialities like beef choi sum and sha cha chicken, guests were also treated to a colourful lion dance.’
- ‘Pupils who attend the after-school dance club are busy developing their ideas for a Chinese lion dance performance and children in Years 3 and 4 are designing menus for an eastern-style buffet.’
- ‘In absence of traditional lion costumes, they are performing the lion dance by holding their briefcases over their heads.’
- ‘The hall is a venue where Chinese-Indonesians practice barongsai, or the lion dance, their ancestral cultural legacy they cultivate in Indonesia.’
- ‘Folk dance traditions are strong among Taiwanese, the lion dance and the dragon dance being the most typical.’
- ‘It started well, with a traditional lion dance, and we're seeing more and more social interaction between the two groups, particularly on the sporting field.’
- ‘Representing cultures throughout Asia, the museum also offers events from traditional Chinese lion dances to Mongolian butter sculpting.’
- ‘In that way, along with the lion dances and festive food that characterize the Spring Festival, people find time on the following Lantern Festival or Yuanxiao Festival not only for a spree but also for a little romance.’
- ‘In London, San Francisco, New York - indeed wherever there's a Chinatown - you can be sure of snappy firecrackers and swirling lion dances to chase away the evil spirits.’
- ‘That's a North American thing, but we're giving away champagne at the party as well as having the lion dance.’
- ‘Some people will be familiar with the lion dance, the foot juggling woman on a unicycle and the pole acrobats.’
- ‘It is believed that the lion dance will bring good luck to households and businesses they visit.’
- ‘Special events include fortune telling, martial arts, lion dance, a street market and more.’
- ‘The main events are of course the boat races, but there will also be market and food stalls, traditional Chinese dragon and lion dances, martial arts and, for a South African flavour, even gumboot dancing.’
- ‘Hu is also expected to attend some of the cultural activities, which include dragon and lion dances, red-fan performances, Peking Opera and martial arts.’
- ‘Over 100 members of the troupe performed in Sriracha with shows including dragon dance, lion dance, a bicycle show, and fire dragon.’
- ‘The lion dance will feature the Central Ontario Chinese Cultural Centre.’
- ‘The events are highlighted with dragon dances or lion dances, which used to be seen here only on television or in the movies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.