One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pale yellow oil extracted from linseed, used especially in paint and varnish.
- ‘Oil paints are made up of a suspension of pigments in an oil such as linseed oil that dries.’
- ‘The group has also made hard plastics from tung oil and linseed oil.’
- ‘I watched my grandfather mix paint from linseed oil and pigment.’
- ‘Glazes are made of oil-based paints mixed with linseed oil and are more transparent than washes.’
- ‘Her eyes challenged me, potent, like a peregrine falcon's, but the beguiling scent of turps and linseed oil drew me to her canvas.’
- ‘Following the directions on the label for cleaning; or use a solution of equal parts of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.’
- ‘Light cigarette burns which have not penetrated the finish may be removed with a thin paste of rotten-stone, soda or cigarette ashes mixed with mineral oil or linseed oil.’
- ‘He then overpaints those scratchings and doodles with aluminum pigment mixed with linseed oil, black paint and beeswax, frequently leaving much of the raw canvas untouched or exposed.’
- ‘The linseed oil from the paint has leached onto the surrounding paper, creating a greasy aureole.’
- ‘This volume belongs in a separate category because it is explicitly addressed to painters and anyone who wonders what it is like to be a painter who loves the colors and textures of oil paint and linseed oil.’
- ‘Remove tarnish with a commercial pewter polish or a paste made of rotten-stone and boiled linseed oil or olive oil.’
- ‘The night she painted her now infamous Diana painting, the air was thick with the smell of turps, linseed oil and paint.’
- ‘An oil room had a collection of various lubricants, including linseed oil, whale oil, lard, molasses, tallow, and grease.’
- ‘Re-oil yearly with boiled linseed oil, tung oil, or a product recommended by the manufacturer.’
- ‘He mixed the paints with linseed oil, making them translucent and dilute.’
- ‘Although boiled linseed oil will work, mineral oil is preferred because it will not turn rancid.’
- ‘However, deeper layers of paint were protected from light-induced degradation, as evidenced by the survival of double bonds in linseed oil.’
- ‘Brush linseed oil or a fast-drying paint primer on any bare wood exposed in the process.’
- ‘To relieve tight and spasmed muscles due to sporting activities, massage well with a mixture of equal parts of rosemary essential oil and linseed oil.’
- ‘There she was, creating magic on the canvas by mixing oil paints with linseed oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.