Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A material consisting of a canvas backing thickly coated with a preparation of linseed oil and powdered cork, used especially as a floor covering.→ lino
- ‘True linoleum is usually also made with wood and cork fibers, and mounted on a natural jute backing.’
- ‘To the rear, the kitchen has linoleum flooring and is fitted with a range of wall and floor units.’
- ‘These repair techniques can be used on vinyl tiles, vinyl sheet floor covering or linoleum.’
- ‘Since the floor was linoleum, all he had to do was wipe, so as not to disturb anybody with the vacuum.’
- ‘Paintwork was faded and there was linoleum on the floor where carpets should have been.’
- ‘The floor is covered with thick black linoleum and the walls are acoustically treated with an asbestos compound.’
- ‘She worked her way back and forth until the entire linoleum floor shone like polished glass.’
- ‘My weighted footsteps echoed off the sterile, cold walls and polished linoleum floors.’
- ‘I awoke again in a dazzling fluorescent haze, my ears filled with the soft rushing noise of rubber wheels on linoleum.’
- ‘I had the students trace the piece of linoleum on the Manila paper so they could draw the exact size they needed.’
- ‘If you live in an older home and haven't replaced the vinyl or linoleum, built up wax will discolor it.’
- ‘Immediately ahead is the kitchen with linoleum flooring and plumbing for a washing machine.’
- ‘The room was linoleum instead of cement, and the kennels were filled with cats.’
- ‘Somehow, he cannot cross the threshold and walk on its linoleum flooring.’
- ‘You may wish to wax your linoleum or vinyl floor after a thorough wash, but there's no point in doing it too often.’
- ‘From here, an archway opens through to a small kitchen with linoleum flooring.’
- ‘An exposed brick arch leads to the kitchen which has original floor tiles covered with linoleum.’
- ‘He flung a butter knife at my head and it clanged noisily off the wallpaper and onto the abused linoleum floor.’
- ‘Choose an area with linoleum or tiled floors in case of mishaps or accidents so the area is easily cleaned.’
- ‘The family bathroom has linoleum flooring, black wall tiles and a linen cupboard.’
Late 19th century: from Latin linum flax + oleum oil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.