One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinged bridge on the quay at a port or ferry terminal which can be connected with a ramp on a vessel to allow loading or unloading.
- ‘Other solutions include chartering a ferry or fitting a floating linkspan onto the incomplete Scrabster pier.’
- ‘The unit will be used for car ferry traffic to allow the installation of a new permanent linkspan at the Stromness ferry terminal.’
- ‘The floating pontoon - connecting the linkspan bridges to the ferry itself - has been put together in Poland.’
- ‘A 200-metre exclusion zone was cordoned off around the gas bottle which meant that everyone in the terminal building and tourist information centre had to vacate their offices and the linkspan was out of operation.’
- ‘The whole area will have to be cleared of vehicles and cordoned off this weekend because work is about to start on strengthening the pier in readiness for a temporary linkspan.’
- ‘We came to the conclusion that because of the technical configuration of the ships, it is not appropriate to use them on the North Isles linkspan.’
- ‘The two new linkspans for the Stromness and Hatston ferry terminals have arrived in the county and expected in place by Wednesday.’
- ‘The woman's body was recovered from the water near the ferry linkspan after police had received a report at 2.30 am that she had fallen into the sea.’
- ‘Sailings next Sunday, April 6, have been cancelled to allow the installation of an adjustable platform at the end of the existing linkspan.’
- ‘The company have always stressed that the operation of the Hamnavoe with the old Scrabster linkspan would be weather dependent.’
- ‘It is expected in Orkney at the beginning of next month to try out the Kirkwall linkspan, which will act as backup for the new linkspan at Hatston.’
- ‘Until now, they have been using the existing linkspan at Kirkwall Pier for their Orkney-Aberdeen-Shetland service.’
- ‘‘The new vessels have higher decks so need higher fenders,’ he explained, adding that separate contracts for a new linkspan and passenger walkway had still to be settled.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.