Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] (on a website) content designed to attract attention and encourage those viewing it to create hyperlinks to the site, with the aim of improving the site's position on the list of results returned by a search engine.‘at first, he tried creating linkbait to get his site noticed’
- ‘This term may get some traffic but if it doesn't fit with the theme/tone of the site then save it for the linkbait and build strong links to these inner pages now.’
- ‘"I created a few of these linkbait pieces and they gained quite a bit of traffic, but I still wasn't getting many signups," Inman says.’
- ‘How should you go about getting links to your linkbait these days?’
- ‘You are very good at doing linkbait stuff to cause publicity, but doing it in a way that does not harm your credibility much.’
- ‘Even the most modest display of wit on the Internet can be characterized as "linkbait."’
- ‘I will be writing some more linkbait - things that will benefit the new owner and will generate some decent traffic, and I'll be pushing out some quality stuff I've meant to blog for a long time but never got around to.’
- ‘Anyone seeking video linkbait would also be a good candidate.’
- ‘WSJ reporters have better things to do than play the game of who can write the best linkbait.’
- ‘There have been more than a few debates and suppositions over the years about the potential value of linkbait/viral content strategies and whether search engines will always reward these practices.’
- ‘Audience is everything, so the publication of quality linkbait is essential.’
- ‘Outside of one linkbait there is nothing remarkable about the site.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.