One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. Specific branches of linguistics include sociolinguistics, dialectology, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, comparative linguistics, and structural linguistics.
- ‘It includes an essay on language and linguistics, which may be supplemented by the treatment of style in Book III of the Rhetoric.’
- ‘She studied for a year in Paris, when she studied linguistics at the Sorbonne.’
- ‘All I mean by internet linguistics is the application of linguistics as a subject to this new domain of language experience.’
- ‘Not all scholars are agreed on the boundaries and relationship between linguistics and sociolinguistics.’
- ‘Machine translation is at the confluence of linguistics and computer science.’
- ‘In linguistics a grammar is a limited set of rules which allows the production an unlimited number of sentences.’
- ‘That most if not all human languages are infinite is one of the central observations of modern linguistics.’
- ‘In linguistics, there are presently two main approaches to solving the problems associated with the description of emotions.’
- ‘If I studied linguistics my French professor would be sure to have a stroke.’
- ‘It is concerned with the applications of linguistics and psycholinguistics in first-language education.’
- ‘The notion of specificity in linguistics is notoriously non-specific.’
- ‘In fact, after psychology, linguistics is probably the cognitive discipline par excellence.’
- ‘Comparisons between linguistics and fields like history or chemistry give similar results.’
- ‘I don't know how well I could have understood linguistics without knowing another language.’
- ‘Are there any equations that come out of linguistics that should be included in my hypothetical course?’
- ‘His views revolutionized the study of language and inaugurated modern linguistics.’
- ‘I won't comment on the theology of this position, but as linguistics, it's nonsense.’
- ‘Considering how small a fraction of the web is devoted to linguistics, that's extraordinary.’
- ‘There are interesting ideas contained in the sections on linguistics and sociology.’
- ‘Prosody in linguistics refers to the study of intonation, tone, and stress in language.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.