One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘What drew slightly more attention was his penchant for staying after class, gently proselytizing about Jesus to some of the younger lingerers.’
- ‘While many leave as early as the end of July, a few late lingerers sometimes remain into early winter, visiting suet or hummingbird feeders.’
- ‘The best bars attract a diverse clientele, and the Local pulls in post-work lingerers, students, canoodling couples and pre-clubbers in equal measure.’
- ‘‘Please evacuate this facility, the president wishes to use it,’ they would have ordered any lingerers, hardly giving them time to zip up their flies.’
- ‘He said officers should ‘crack down on lingerers’ and was told the council is trying to prevent staff taking a half day sick after weekends and bank holidays without being ill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.