One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person employed in laying and maintaining railway track.
- ‘Contractor linemen forget to use personal protective equipment, such as insulated gloves, more often than utility linemen, he says.’
- 1.1North American A person employed for the repair and maintenance of telephone or electricity power lines; a linesman.
A player positioned on the line of scrimmage.
- ‘The team is expected to go for a linebacker, a cornerback and a defensive lineman with three of its first four picks; the order of priority will be determined by the players available.’
- ‘The team focused on defense, selecting two linebackers, two defensive linemen and two cornerbacks.’
- ‘These 300-pounders are trying to compete with the faster and stronger defensive linemen of today's National Football League.’
- ‘In addition, too many wideouts and defensive linemen have not been maximized.’
- ‘But knowing Belichick's defensive bent, he could just as easily choose a lineman, linebacker, cornerback, or safety.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.