Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make linear; represent in or transform into a linear form.‘air was focused and linearized by the air pump’‘the field equations can be linearized’‘linearized DNA’
- ‘Apparatus and method which features linearizing attributes of an information object into a string of bytes for object representation and storage in a database system.’
- ‘The vectors were linearized and transcribed with a DNA-dependent RNA polymerase.’
- ‘This method of organization has the added advantage of substantially linearizing the mechanical output of the muscle when expressed as a function of the input to the motoneuron pool.’
- ‘The indices utilized here represent transformations that linearize germination data with respect to suboptimal temperature or the logarithm of thermal time.’
- ‘To compare the sites, plant age, A, was transformed as log to linearize the relationships, and log was used as the covariate in covariance analysis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.