One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mathematical technique for maximizing or minimizing a linear function of several variables, such as output or cost.
- ‘Operations research methods such as linear programming were used to achieve this, and these were quickly copied by airlines and automobile producers, who also faced complicated scheduling problems.’
- ‘The ‘decision-making sciences’ such as linear programming and operations research were developed during World War II to solve the logistical problems associated with supplying overseas troops in different theaters of operation.’
- ‘During this troubled period Hua developed, with Wang Yuan, a broad interest in linear programming, operations research, and multidimensional numerical integration.’
- ‘Problems involving the allocation of targets to offensive air weapons use a linear programming method.’
- ‘Both linear programming and power series were themes which ran through Motzkin's research throughout his life but he was an extremely broad mathematician and there were many other themes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.