One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of perspective used by artists, in which the relative size, shape, and position of objects is determined by drawn or imagined lines converging at a point on the horizon.
- ‘The relation between rilievo and linear perspective is particularly relevant here, because it directly impinges on Wohl's thesis that Renaissance artists and writers saw paintings above all in terms of decorated surfaces.’
- ‘They understand then that the knowledge of how to use linear perspective becomes a tool in their skill box, and that it will help them draw better.’
- ‘Parallel lines that appear to converge this way create what's known as one-point or linear perspective, potent for showing distance and depth in a photograph.’
- ‘Unlike Western art, Islamic miniatures feature a limited use of light and shade and an avoidance of linear perspective.’
- ‘Picasso developed Cubism as a response to linear perspective and shading.’
- ‘It represents an important moment in the sequence of events which would ultimately lead to the repudiation of the greatest triumph of renaissance art, namely the discovery of linear perspective.’
- ‘More emphatic than anatomy in this painting is Eakins's systematic study of linear perspective, which would have helped him situate the objects and reflections precisely in space.’
- ‘As in some medieval European paintings - but not many made after the Renaissance discovery of linear perspective, which gave us the camera - the same figure can appear more than once in an image, moving through the journey of life.’
- ‘Most remarkable is the empirical and experimental approach to pictorial space, which Fouquet approaches with an optical intelligence of a kind unparalleled until Leonardo's deconstruction of linear perspective later in the century.’
- ‘He was one of the first people to study the converse problem of perspective: given a picture drawn in correct linear perspective compute where the eye must be placed to see this correct perspective.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.