One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric induction motor which produces straight-line motion (as opposed to rotary motion) by means of a linear stator and rotor placed in parallel.
- ‘The experimental chambers were modified so that the upper fiber holder was attached to a linear motor, which allowed rapid unloading of the fibers with subsequent restretch to the original length.’
- ‘According to the company, the high-speed linear motor wheelhead follows the eccentric profile and achieves roundness to 2 microns.’
- ‘The magnetic field of the linear motor is self-contained within the U-channel design.’
- ‘Another impact on price is that the linear motors are larger than that of helical scan, making power issues more costly.’
- ‘The linear motor along each 37-m section of the 30-km track turns off as the train passes, rendering collisions on the same route virtually impossible, says Robert Budell, Transrapid spokesman.’
- ‘The exposed incremental linear encoder from Heidenhain is suitable for production equipment in the automation and electronics industries and for applications on linear motors.’
- ‘Unlike conventional trains, there is no friction between the wheels and the rails, and linear motors soundlessly propel the train forward allowing it to accelerate to very high speeds within a few seconds.’
- ‘The linear compressor comprises a hermetic vessel having a compressing mechanism portion and a linear motor therein.’
- ‘The intended application for these devices is as a replacement for small linear motors in various industries, including medical.’
- ‘The company has been promoting its linear motor driven series of machining centers for the past several years.’
- ‘The counter mass, which floats on air bearings, is attached to a linear motor guide (stator).’
- ‘However, in September 1996 NASA commissioned Laithwaite to develop a rocket launcher using linear motors.’
- ‘Germany has abandoned plans to build a linear motor system between Berlin and Frankfurt.’
- ‘The systems offer high speed linear motor technology with contouring speeds up to 1,500 ipm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.