One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A notional semicircle of constant longitude on the earth's surface, running from one terrestrial pole to the other; a meridian.‘the ship and the storm were both now on the same line of longitude’
- ‘The prime meridian is the line of longitude that runs through Greenwich, England.’
- ‘Surveys were flown along lines of longitude and were therefore generally oriented perpendicular to the coast.’
- ‘Altogether there are 180 lines of longitude around the Earth, spaced out approximately every 70 miles around the equator.’
- ‘The official finishing line will be the line of longitude running through the Bishop Rock lighthouse.’
- ‘Prior to the lines of longitude being defined, thousands of sailors were lost at sea as soon as land was out of sight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.